Sunday, March 11, 2012

DIY Photography Light Box

    So a few days ago, I was killing time on Etsy, looking at all the nifty things that I could pin or just drool over when it really hit me that I wanted some nice, white backdrop photos to showcase my stuff. 

     I started doing a bit of looking and found that pop-up light tents or boxes were going for $45-$100!  Me being me, I wanted to try doing it myself.  Praise Google!  This tutorial popped up.  So I wrote down the materials I would need and headed out to Michael's.  I already had most of the stuff, and some stuff, I replaced with other items.

    Finished it about an hour ago.  It's not the prettiest in the world, but it works.... and that's all that matters.

I didn't use glue sticks for the inside Bristol edging, instead I used glue dots (my glue stick was just not up to par), I also glued the muslin on with E-6000.  Unfortunately, my white lightbulb blew when I took it out of the box and turned on the lamp (the wattage was within what the lamp could handle... it was just a bum bulb), so I had to use a regular one which makes the tint more yellow than white.  Will definitely pick up a new bulb tomorrow.

    Even with the yellow bulb, though, the results on the test shot weren't bad for my first snap!
   With a white bulb, the tint should go away, and I'm thinking about adding two more smaller lamps to reduce shadows even more.  We'll see. 

     If you're looking for a light box, give this a shot.  It's not hard and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than shelling out the money for one from a company.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Idea Sarah!! Love it...will be trying this one<3

    ReplyDelete