Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Give Thanks!

     Everyone ready for Thanksgiving?  I'm not.  I don't even have a turkey yet!

     I did, however, think of something that would be fun for Cameron's class to do as a project.  I thought it would be fun for all of the kids to have Thanksgiving cards that they could each write something about their teacher that they are thankful for.  In turn, their teacher would have cards to write something she is thankful for about each student.

    Spread the holiday love.

     While looking in the Silhouette online store, I saw an adorable turkey cut design.  However, I didn't want to have to cut and assemble multiple layers for more than 25 individual cards, so I worked with it in the Silhouette software to make it a print and cut.

     Here's how the kids-to-teacher cards turned out:

     Aren't they sweet?!

     To make the turkey file a print and cut, click on each part of the turkey and fill it with the color you want, starting with the biggest part of the tail feathers and working your way forward through the layers. Also, make all of the lines transparent. (Just select the turkey part, then "line" and "transparent".) Do the fill and line transparency for each of the turkey parts until it's totally colored in. Once it is, "Group" the image and then start from the beginning of the "Under a Cherry Tree" tutorial. The image will act like a print and cut image while it's grouped and you can personalize it from there. 


     After making the turkey cards, I designed my own file for the teacher cards using Silhouette Designer Edition software.  I love the fill background selections they have!  It was a lot of fun to play with the new software and start to learn the ins and outs.

Teacher cards (left) and student cards (right).

     When I finished with the cards, my younger son saw them and begged me to do them for his classroom as well.  We decided to make his different from his brother's and used Lettering Delights' Kanshasai file to do the same project for his class.


     Definitely enjoying the new software!

     Hope you all have a very happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! The kids were so excited to help out with a school project that they were in my face the entire time, screaming and jumping around like crazies. :)

      Delete