Monday, June 10, 2013

Great Cakes Soapworks Peacock Swirl Challenge

   Amy Warden of Great Cakes Soapworks started a Soap Challenge Club and the first technique was the Peacock Swirl.  I had never tried this before, so I decided to give it a whirl.

   

     Rainbow Sherbert Peacock was born!  This soap is scented with Rainbow Sherbert fragrance oil from Nature's Garden, and it smells good enough to eat!  

      Okay, now the process....

First, I had to get all of my supplies together:

     I used micas and titanium dioxide from The Conservatorie to color my soap.  The marbling rake was made using curler picks and a piece of cardboard.  I liked the look of a tightly swirled peacock swirl, so I spaced mine closer together.  :)

     I mixed up a slow-moving soap recipe to give myself time to work with the swirl, lined a pizza box (I wanted a lot of room to work), and then got all of my colors into my squeeze bottles.  Poured the majority of my soap batter (colored with TD) into the box, and then took a deep breath...

  It was time to start squeezing and marbling.  I went crazy with the colors, but also squirted some white to help define the swirls.

Above is a picture before using the rake and doing the "S" swirls...
And now (above) here is the photo AFTER swirling.  I am now SUCH a fan of this technique and really can't wait to try it again!  

     After a day of drying, it was ready to cut and shoot.

     Hungry?  ;)

19 comments:

  1. Yes!! I'm very hungry now! :) I can see why you were anxious to post your soap - it turned out great! I'm ready to make another one with different colors too - hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! And thank you for teaching me how to do this. It was a ton of fun! :D

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh you went all the way, you brave thing you! :D I was too scared to give that a go but I'm in LOVE with the colour combo on this. Beautiful soap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors you used and how yours turned out! Definitely one of my favorites! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pretty cool soap you can tell you have done soaping for a while. good job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea! The peacock swirl is definitely one of my favorite techniques now! :)

      Delete
  5. Very beautiful soap, you have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! You should definitely try it.... so much fun!

      Delete
  6. Love it! I can't wait to gather all my ingredients (mad scientist cackle here) and start soaping! You're an inspiration with all you do plus raising a family, Sarah! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mad scientist, indeed! You can put all kinds of crazy fun into making soap... and the crazier, the better. ;) :P

      Delete
  7. I love the soft tones of the colors you chose, they go together so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice colours and swirls, I like your natural looking autumn colours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful swirl! Love the colors!

    Maitri
    Http://maitribathbody.com

    ReplyDelete